TWO DAY PRESCHOOL
AGE 2 BY AUGUST 31
THURSDAY and FRIDAY 9:30-11:30 AM
Teacher Bio: Leslie Minckler
Leslie Minckler has had the pleasure of working with children for 37 years. After graduating from CWU with a BA in Speech Pathology and Audiology, she worked as a Speech and Language Therapist for the Selah and Sumner School Districts for 6 years. After subbing at her children’s preschool, Leslie started working as a preschool teacher and then head teacher in a neighborhood preschool for 29 years until they closed due to COVID. She has taught all ages from 2-5 years old and appreciates what each individual child brings to the classroom! Leslie has furthered her education through being a member of WAEYC and attending yearly conferences and participating in continuing education through UW, PLU and UPS. She continues to attend workshops and conferences to stay current in Early Childhood Education.
Leslie is a longtime resident of West Seattle. She has been married for 38 years. She has two grown children, Mike, 34, who is married and living in Tucson, AZ and Lauren, 33, who lives in North Bend. Leslie is looking forward to being a first time Grandma in March!! Leslie also has three cocker spaniels (two are rescues) who like walks, treats and playing catch.
Leslie is very excited to begin teaching at WCCP. For the parents, Co-op offers so much support, education and ways to connect with families and allows the opportunity to watch your children grow as they learn about being a class member. For the teacher, the passion and goal is the same- to help guide children in all skill areas but primarily to help them be strong socially and emotionally so they will be prepared to navigate their years ahead with confidence and success and to foster a love of learning. The wonder and discovery that happens at this age is a delight. Leslie feels privileged to be a part of the beginning of your child’s school journey.
Life with a 2 year old is like a Seattle day–sunny one moment and cloudy the next!
• They are excited to play and explore.
• Their imaginations are blossoming.
• They still need our help moving beyond “MINE!”
Our class is a safe place to express their independence by exploring a room full of opportunities. As they grow more comfortable with language, we help them learn to communicate their needs.
9:30 Welcome from Teacher Leslie
9:45 Choice Time to Play, Explore, Pretend, and Create
10:45 Put Away Time (we made a joyful mess and we learn to clean up, too)
10:50 Circle Time Story and Songs (learning to sit and take part)
11:00 Snack (sitting together eating a healthy snack furnished and prepared by parents according to Health Department standards)
11:15 Music and Movement (singing and using big muscles)
11:30 Time to say Good Bye
Parents assist in the classroom one day a week.
- You choose whether your day each week will be either Thursday or Friday.
- If you cannot come in due to illness, etc. you ask another parent to trade with you.
- We teach you ways to interact with the kids using our “positive discipline” philosophy.
- Your child comes the other day without you.
- Some 2-3’s have a hard time separating–we follow your lead and help you both make this transition.
Parent Education is an important part of our Two Day Preschool
- A Parenting Educator attends class one day each week (alternating Thursday and Friday) ready to check in with you to offer tips that will help at home and at school
- The class chooses one night a month for a Parent Meeting–time to learn about guidance and discipline AND as an adult night out together (example: first Tuesday of each month 7-9:00)
- To personalize your learning, choose from a list of free talks on topics such as: Guidance & Discipline, Raising Boys/Girls, Separation, Sleep, Potty Learning, First Aid and CPR
“Being in co-op helped us move through those ‘Terrible Two’s’ I had heard about. They weren’t so bad because I had friends going through it together–with the help of our teachers!”