THREE DAY PRESCHOOL
AGE 3 BY AUGUST 31
MONDAY, TUESDAY, AND WEDNESDAY 9:30-11:30 AM
Teacher Bio: Janet Jenness
Janet Jenness has had the privilege of working with the White Center Threes and their families for 21 years! Janet received her BA in Education from Western Washington University, and has continued to further her education in early childhood. She also works with the parent/infant program at South Seattle College, and fulfills the role of Parent Educator in the Lincoln Park 4s class. She started her career in co-op as a young mother attending what was Arbor Heights Co-op Preschool with her 2 year old son, who is now 27, and daughter, now 24.
Janet is passionate about helping young children gain the skills they need to navigate their world. She finds it very rewarding to see what these children are capable of, and to be a small part of such amazing growth that takes place in these early years.
3-year-olds are full of wonder and ready to learn by DOING. Through guided play at preschool they are:
• Developing social skills
• Using language to solve problems
• Practicing self regulation
• Making neural (brain) connections that are the foundation for reading and math
Our class provides a stimulating variety of choices to explore for active, whole body learning. Challenges of learning to wait and negotiate with friends are met with understanding and proactive teaching.
9:30 Welcome from Teacher Janet
9:40 Choice Time to Play, Explore, Pretend, Create and Climb
10:45 Put Away Time (we learn from manipulating toys and materials and to be responsible for their care)
10:50 Circle Time Story (extending our attention span and ability to regulate our bodies and emotions)
11:00 Snack Time (sharing a healthy snack furnished and prepared by parents according to Health Department standards)
11:10 Music and Movement (singing and using big muscles and sharing space together)
11:30 Closing Circle (coming together to say Good Bye)
Parents assist in the classroom one day a week.
- You choose whether your day each week will be either Mon/Tues/Wed morning.
- If you cannot come in due to illness, etc. you ask another parent to trade with you.
- We teach you ways to interact with the kids using our “positive discipline” philosophy.
Parents get to:
- attend a monthly, evening parent meeting to discuss business and parenting topics
- help with the running of the preschool and fundraising
- choose a co-op job that fits your interests, skill, and time
Parent Education is an important part of our Three Day Preschool
- A professional Parenting Educator attends class one day each week (alternating Mon/Tues/Wed) ready to check in with you to offer tips that will help at home and at school
- The class chooses one night a month for Parent Meeting–time to learn about guidance and discipline AND as an adult night out together (example: first Tuesday of each month from 7-9pm)
- To personalize your learning, choose from a list of free talks on topics such as: Guidance & Discipline, Raising Boys/Girls, How To Talk So Kids Will Listen, Sleep, Raising an Only, Making the Most of Temperament Traits
“Who said 3 year olds were easier than 2’s? At co-op I got new ideas….and I saw that my kid wasn’t ‘the only one’.”